
It still hurts to this day to not have my Papa around.
When I needed something, he was always there.
There is a whole inside that misses him each and every day.
It's gotten harder as the years go by, strangely enough.
It doesn't help that the photo everyone remembers him by,
was one that I took at the Washington State Law Enforcement Memorial Wall
in Olympia, Washington.
He was looking up at a eagle soaring high above.
He was quite the simplistic man
set in his traditional ways
but open to new ways.
He worked on cars for a living,
even after he retired from actually working
only to continue fixing up older cars and selling them
or helping out family and friends with car troubles.
He would go out early in the morning,
work til lunch,
eat,
then go back out til dinner time.
He would wash up before meals with this scratchy bar of soap
but it got off the grease and oil mighty fine.
After dinner he and granma would go sit
and watch t.v. in the living room til bed time.
Whenever us girls spent the night,
Papa would always say "goodnight" in such a way
that melts your heart.
I can still hear him saying it,
deep in my heart.
Since he has been gone these past five years,
things have not been the same.
Granma's memory loss turned into altzheimers,
she no longer can remember most things.
Though, on the good days she remembers
the relationship between the two of you.
I am her granddaughter who goes to school.
She no longer remembers my name
however, there are a couple times when she can
recall that I am Amber whenever she hears someone call my name.
It's hard to see my Papa not be here anymore to take care of her.
Instead, my Dad is the one who takes care of everything, for the most part.
Granma likes it where she is at;
a small home that is relaxed, easy going, and lively.
I have no clue how much longer she will be around,
the disease can alter one's life so much so
one never truly knows how much time is left
until it has happened.
Papa, I miss you so much so, it pains me to think of Granma's condition and how you are no longer around, physically, to love her and hold her and take care of her. I know she still remembers you, she always will! I always will too!
Love you lots!
Your granddaughter, Amber <3
No comments:
Post a Comment